Polyphonic.org launched their inaugural Virtual Panel Discussion today…
In order to provide as broad a view as possible on this subject, Polyphonic.org has assembled a wide-ranging cross section of professional negotiators, executive managers, and knowledgeable musicians from a variety of ICSOM, ROPA, and OCSM ensembles. Each panelist retains a great deal of unique experience working with a diverse assortment of negotiation aspects.
Throughout the week, they’ll be engaged in a lively discussion centered on the main subject and you can participate by sharing your experiences and observations via commenting directly to panelists or to the discussion in general.
To get things started off, we established our discussion parameters by asking all of our esteemed panelists to address the following statement for their opening remarks:
Is the collective bargaining agreement negotiation environment the most effective tool professional orchestra musicians can use to influence the artistic and economic strategic direction for their respective organization?
Augmented Reader Participation
One of the best features of this online environment is the ability for you to interact with the discussion. You can participate passively by reading comments and using that information to better define your own opinions and understanding about negotiations and registered users can participate actively by submitting comments to in individual posts from the panelists or to the topic in general which are posted for everyone to read.
Panelists (in alphabetical order):
- Eric Anderson: Principal Bassoon & Personnel Manager, Chattanooga Symphony and Opera
- Laura Brownell: Executive Director, Symphonic Services Division, AFM
- Chris Durham: Negotiator, Symphonic Services Division, AFM
- Erich Graf: Principal Flute, Utah Symphony and President of Local 104 of the American Federation of Musicians
- Carla Johnson: President & Executive Director, Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- Nathan Kahn: Negotiator, Symphonic Services Division, AFM
- Robert Levine: Principal Viola, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and President of the Milwaukee Musicians Association, Local 8 of the American Federation of Musicians
- Curt Long: Executive Director, Dayton Philharmonic