Inspired by Bill Eddins over at Sticks and Drones where he posted a laundry list of wishes for 2011, I wanted to take a moment to kick off an Auld Lang Syne Meme of Three for 2011 (orchestra stakeholder edition)…
If I could grant three wishes for Orchestra Managers…
- I would make everyone else who isn’t an orchestra manager understand and appreciate what they do.
- I would give them the tools they need to realize their potential.
- I would help them see the damage they do to the business as a whole by buying into too much conventional wisdom and ladder climbing.
If I could grant three wishes for Orchestra Boards…
- I would instill renewed commitment and energy.
- I would grant them the ability to design and implement a meaningful executive review process.
- I would give them the ability to see that “tough decisions” are not synonymous with mortal budget cuts.
If I could grant three wishes for Orchestra Musicians…
- I would help every 20 and 30 something understand how and why the quantity and quality of today’s orchestra jobs came to be.
- I would give them the ability to push back the seemingly endless tide of apathy.
- I would help “that guy/girl” stop looking like a slob at rehearsals and concerts.
If I could grant three wishes for Orchestra Patrons…
- I would help them take several friends to a concert.
- I would give them the inspiration to speak out on behalf of their performing arts organizations at every possible opportunity.
- I would give them the ability to refrain from dropping programs during concerts.
- BONUS: I would make average ticket prices 50% lower.