Capacity Interactive (CI) recently published their fourth annual Arts Industry Digital Marketing Benchmark Study (h/t Thomas Cott) and some of their findings are worth noticing. Moreover, everything covered in the report is covered in one or more how-to articles at ArtsHacker.com. Here are some shortcuts to help you drill down into what’s important.
CI Study: Instagram usage saw dramatic growth – followers across respondents increased 174%. 96% of organizations had Instagram accounts, up from 81% in 2014, and 47% posted at least a few times per week.
- An ArtsHacker original series from 2016, An Arts Manager’s guide To Instagram focuses on how arts organizations can better understand and develop an effective Instagram strategy. You can find the series archive at artshacker.com/series/instagram.
- You’ll can also find all sorts of additional articles about Instagram.
CI Study: 100% of organizations had Facebook accounts and, for the first time, 100% of respondents indicated they purchased Facebook ads. Facebook fans grew 45% YOY across all budget sizes. 73% of respondents indicated they posted on Facebook at least once a day. Also, Facebook was the primary outlet for organizations to post and promote video, surpassing YouTube for both paid and organic posting.
- ArtsHacker has nearly two dozen articles about Facebook!
CI Study: Organizations began to pay more attention to social metrics. 41% of respondents indicated they checked their social media metrics at least once a week. That was an increase from 21% in 2014, but there is still a long way to go.
A long way to go indeed. Fortunately, metrics is one of the most prolific topics at ArtsHacker.
CI Study: Most arts organizations used video to market their offerings and began to invest in content.
- Whether you need a way to create videos on a budget, need to learn must-know tips on using lighting to make amazing in-house vids, or want to keep it simple with animated GIFs, there’s an article about it at ArtsHacker.
- You’ll also find a number of related articles in ArtsHacker’s Creative & Design topic archive.
CI Study: Organizations are investing more in digital, but challenges around funding and expertise are still limiting digital effectiveness.
Yep, budget limitations suck, but that doesn’t mean you’re out of luck. ArtsHacker is a veritable ocean of resources to help you find free options and prevent wasting money on options that won’t work:
- Loads of articles about social media topics in general.
- How to take advantage of FREE Google advertising via Google Grants.
- So many great articles about Hootsuit!
- Super slick, super free Photoshop templates for creating updating your social media branding.
- Trying to figure out if live streaming on Meerkat or Perisope is for your org. ArtsHacker has an article to help you figure it out (of course it does!).
- Need to know about podcasting? We’ve got an entire series about everything from hardware to software for all budget sizes and how to properly distribute your content.