Scammers haven’t wasted any time attempting to suck blood from the turnip of burgeoning performing arts org concert activity. The latest attempt to exploit organizations targets events that are at capacity or sell out quickly thanks to limited numbers of seats available due to COVID restrictions.
The scam is straightforward enough:
- Fake user posts a comment to an event post at your Facebook wall saying they have some of the limited quantity tickets but can’t attend.
- Scammer claims to verify legitimacy of tickets.
- Scammer requires the mark to send payment directly for tickets.
The buyer gets duped and the organization is left to deal with the aftermath of an angry ticket buyer.
As of right now, there’s not much you can do beyond the following:
- MONITOR your social media profile comments like a hawk and delete spam comments ASAP. Don’t engage with scammer, just delete, ban, and report.
- INFORM your patrons about the scam. Simply being aware will help kneecap scammers.
- REPORT scammers: