One of the best parts of recording episodes in the evening is guests (and host) can actually imbibe. No, this doesn’t mean we’re having and Drunk episodes, but there’s no denying it helps contribute to a discussion sounding more like a group of professionals talking shop.
This ended becoming a fairly broad topic, which I think is best outlined by some of the more memorable quotes:
We all solve problems differently and I don’t know if we’re always right.
Going into the pandemic, we said that with all these creative minds on staff, if we can’t figure this out, nobody can.
At the end of the day, relevance and innovation have to be focal to us.
We have a slew of funders who want to be traditional and don’t want to find a new way of doing things so we’re beholden to them…and as long as we’re shackled to these notions, the industry can’t evolve.
Jeff is the Executive Director of the Spokane Symphony & Martin Woldson Theater at The Fox, a position he has held since 2016. He is credited with infusing the organization with renewed verve, and has increased revenues from $4MM to over $6MM, an increase of over 50% in three years. He has also spearheaded efforts to broaden the reach of the Symphony and Fox, expanding the range of concerts and events, and establishing a program for children to attend symphony performances for free.
Comments (powered by Facebook)
About Shop Talk
The official podcast of Adaptistration.com, Shop Talk invites captivating guests to talk about engaging topics connected to the orchestra business.
Publication Schedule (subject to change #obvs)
- E01: Reaching Diverse Audiences Through The Marcom Lens, Ann Marie Sorrell and Ceci Dadisman 08/18/2020
- E02: Art Has Always Been Political, Weston Sprott and Jason Haaheim 09/01/2020
- E03: Deconstructing Silos, Anwar Nasir and Scott Harrison 09/15/2020
- E04: Fostering BIPOC And Women Composers, Anne M. Guzzo, Daniel Hege, and Holly Mulcahy 09/29/2020
- E05: What Orchestras Administrators Really Need, Zak Vassar and Jeff Vom Saal 10/13/2020
- E06: The Need For Expertise, Mark Almond and Jason Haaheim 10/27/2020
- E07: Changing Your Narrative, Mark Larson and Scott Silberstein 11/10/2020
- E08: Centering Equity, Ruby Lopez Harper and Brea M. Heidelberg 11/17/2020
- E09: How to Create High-Quality Video Content, Bruce Kiesling and Niccolo Go 12/08/2020
- E10: Walking Back Artistic Elitism, Kenji Bunch and Jenny Bilfield 12/22/2020
- E11: Being A Content Creator Before It Was Cool, Jeff Curnow 01/05/2021
- E12: The Commercial Life, Ceci Dadisman and Marc van Bree 01/19/2021
- E13: Composers In Academia, David MacDonald and Sam Merciers 2/2/2021